Sometimes you have one of those VMs that you downloaded from Microsoft and then you used it for some testing. Now, after a certain amount of time, the free license given will expire and what will happen, is the VM will start to automatically shutdown I think after an hour. So how do we prevent this from happening?
The solution is easy:
1. Download SysInternals
2. Start a privileged cmd.exe
3. Navigate to SysInternals directory and run PsExec as following:
psexec64.exe -i -d -s cmd.exe
4. This will start a new cmd.exe with “nt authority\system”. Use “whoami” to check that
5. Let’s first delete the service:
sc delete WLMS
6. Now open regedit.exe
7. Go to: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WLMS and delete the whole key
8. Reboot your system
There you go! The system will no longer bother you with sudden shutdowns!